I usually use Telnet command in the Command Prompt to check if a particular port is open on a remote computer. However, when I try the command on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, it raises an error message: ‘telnet’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
It seems telnet is not enabled by default so we have to turn it on. In order to enable telnet, please follow these simple steps below.
Turn on Telnet command in Windows 7 And Server 2008
- 1. Go to Start => Control Panel
- 2. Click on Programs and Features
- 3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off in the left panel
- 4. In the Windows Features box, check the Telnet Client
- 5. Click OK to make the change.
Or watch a video tutorial below, it’s just 1 minute.