SQL Server Express 2008 is the best solution for those who want to minimize the cost with full-featured relational database. It fully supports Tables, Views, T-SQL, Stored procedure, Functions and Trigger. It’s FREE so you can save a lot of money when build and deploy from small to medium desktop applications or web applications.
However, there are some limitations regarding Scalability, Performance, Programmability and Management Tool features you should consider before you decide go with this option.
Some limitations of SQL Server Express 2008
- 1. Only support 1 CPU although you may have multiple CPUs install in your server
- 2. Maximum memory utilized: 1 GB
- 3. Maximum database size: 10 GB
- 4. Does not support SQL Server Agent
- 5. Does not support Database Engine Tuning Advisor
- 6. Does not support SQL Server Profiler
- 7. Does not support Full-text search
If you’re fine with those limitations, start downloading the express version or do compare SQL Server 2008 R2 with competitive database solutions.
Make your choice 🙂